Saturday, January 13, 2018

The Congruence XXXI

I was still trying to put things together in my mind when the light came on…followed by a roaring “Surpriseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I almost fainted

It wasn’t a pleasant surprise at first…my mind had played a movie, a crazy movie in just a few seconds. I had thought of a million and one things when I saw Deola in the dark. Not that I didn’t trust Folahan but I knew how Deola’s mind worked and how she could get people to do whatever she wanted.
 
Everybody was there, Pastor and his wife, members of the church choir, my team lead that was supposedly in a meeting, even Folahan’s sister came from Lagos.

The plan had been on for about 2 weeks and I didn't suspect a thing. The sickness was a charade to throw me off and get me to come over after work.
 
I later realized Deola was brought into the plan so she could bring a change of cloth for me since she had access to my wardrobe. It was a nice party and Folahan had taken care of every detail…food and drinks, the house was also decorated a little bit.
 
After about an hour into the party, Folahan signaled to the DJ to reduce the volume of the music because he had an announcement…
 
He turned to me, held my left hand and started to sing
 
And all my life, I've prayed for someone like you
And I thank God that I, that I finally found you, baby
All my life I've prayed for someone like you
And I hope that you feel the same way too
Yes, I pray that you do, love me too
 
It was so beautifully rendered that the ladies were screaming while I was blushing
Then he went on his knee, brought out a ring and said
 


Never in my wildest imagination, would I have pictured a person like you in my life
There is no one perfect, they say, but you are as close to perfection as anyone can be
While I was busy hating love as a young man, God was busy building the love of my life
Beauty, brains, passion and virtue hardly come in one package…with you, I didn’t have to choose one over the other

You fit perfectly into my plans for today and most importantly, the future
Above all, you fit perfectly into God’s plan for my life
 
You have a quiet spirit and speak with grace and wisdom…that is hard to find in a lot of women
I can walk with you because our souls connect…because our hearts agree
You are kind, you are loving, you are thoughtful…indeed God had me in mind when he made you.
 
Like the song says - "I couldn't see how every sign pointed straight to you
That every long lost dream led me to where you are
Others who broke my heart, they were like northern stars
Pointing me on my way into your loving arms
This much I know is true
That God blessed the broken road
That led me straight to you"
 
We live in a world where many believe there are no certainties…but I can assure you of one, my undying love.
As long as the sun rises from the west and sets in the east
As long as I breathe, you can count on me
 
Like you told me about a year ago,
Two are better than one,
Because they have a good reward for their labor.
For if they fall, one will lift up his companion
 
Ecclesiastes 4 verse 12 says A person standing alone can be attacked and defeated, but two can stand back-to-back and conquer. Three are even better, for a triple-braided cord is not easily broken.
 
Lilian Ogechukwukanma Aramide Agu, will you partner with God and Folahan Bernard-Oludiya to form this three-fold cord?

Ara mi, will you marry me?
 
“Ara mi” was a very special term of endearment coined by Folahan from my Yoruba name that literally means My Person or My People or My Family. He had a funny way of calling it that made it sound like he was saying “my body” and only called me that on special occasions.  

I was a mess, as my tears had completely ruined my makeup
Of course, I said yes as he slid the ring into my finger.

Folahan’s sister came over and gave me a warm hug…
Welcome to the family dear sis” she whispered into my ear.

Deola also came over and hugged me…she was very emotional. Most of the women present could not help it and I could see the men holding back their tears as well.
 
Pastor prayed for us that night with so much passion…I never knew he could pray like that. I used to see him as a sophisticated pastor with ‘big grammar’.

As late as it was that night, I called my mum to let her know of this development. I’m sure she must have woken some sleeping neighbors with the way she screamed. She could not contain her joy

She burst into her Baba-Ara song
Emi lo s’eyi fun
Emi lo s’eyi fun o Olorun (O God…what did I do to deserve this blessing)”
 
It was such a wonderful night and I thought that was all but then, Folahan told me we were still going to Lagos for the real party and that he just wanted the engagement to happen in front of our friends and church family.
His siblings had arrived earlier that day and everyone was expecting us


PART 30                                                                                          PART 32


Picture Credit (c) Salon.com

This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places and incidents either are products of the author’s imagination or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual events or locales or persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental   
© 2018 Lanre Olagbaju All Rights Reserved

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Got me scared at first when i saw the Deola...
Good work bro...

Imoleayo