Friday, September 11, 2015

Temptation Alley (Part 9)

I saw Dammy at work and to my surprise; she acted as if nothing happened. I told her we needed to talk, so she came into my office. I tried to explain that Friday night was a big mistake and that I was sorry I played along. I told her I would appreciate if she never told anyone. She laughed and told me she just wanted me one last time and she was already over it. Her attitude scared me, it was as if it meant nothing to her…ironically, those were the kinda girls I used to like and prefer. I called them ‘zero liability, all options accessible’.

Dammy said she needed to ask me a question though…I told her to go ahead and she asked “Did you like it?

I couldn’t answer the question; I just looked on as she walked away. She got to the door, turned around and said “there’s more where that came from…no strings attached

Get thee behind me Satan”…I must have chanted that phrase like a million times after she left.
The guilt wore off after a while and I was happy that Irene did not find out.

The day Dammy ended her youth service at my company was the happiest day of my life, especially when I found out she was not going to be ‘retained’. She had made life difficult for me with all the flirting and teasing…she would call me on my office extension and say things I can’t even say here, just to get me to come for her.
There were times I felt like going ahead with it but the fear of what Irene said, restrained me. One thing I noticed was that Dammy never bothered me on my cell phone…but I dreaded being alone with her at work. There was a day I got on the elevator with Dammy; I had to get off 2 floors before ours because of what she was doing/trying to do…the fear of someone else getting on the elevator made me jump out. I remember asking her what was wrong with her, I wanted to know what happened to that sweet little girl I met me in the University…she said she was just enjoying life and making the most of it; after all, you only live once.

I got married to Irene about a year after that; the day I proposed to her, she was quiet for a while and then said she would marry me and be mine forever as long as I stayed faithful to her. She talked about her family and how her dad was a chronic adulterer. How she had sworn never to have that kind of marriage and how she would rather be alone than stay in such a marriage. I promised her that I would do my best to stay and remain faithful to her. On the wedding day, my sister (Irene's friend) said she didn't believe I could make it work...she told me I made the best decision of my life by marrying someone like Irene.
 
Irene was an awesome wife…I saw her in another light after the wedding. She was a great girlfriend but she was even better at being a wife. We hardly fought…she was very considerate and supportive. She was always praying for me, I would wake up in the middle of the night and she would kneel by the bed praying.

Things got better in every area of my life after I married Irene. I got another job at another consulting firm, three levels above the position I had at the first job. It came with an official car and lots of fringe benefits...we moved to a bigger house in Ikoyi. We had our first son about 18 months into the marriage, I couldn’t be happier…life was really beautiful.
 
There's this guy at the new job that had attended the same University with me. He knew me in those days but we were not friends. He started to tell the other guys (at work) of my escapades, how I was a ‘sharp shooter’ and how there was no girl I couldn’t get.
How he envied my lifestyle…and wanted so much to be my friend but I was too cool for him. These encomiums made many of the guys at work wanna hang out with me...they would invite me to come chill with them on Friday nights.
Irene didn’t mind, she said she didn’t want to appear as anti-social but told me not to forget that as a child of God I needed to “do everything with moderation”. I started to hang out with these guys like every other weekend…we would choose a place to go relax after work but I always tried to get home by 11pm...

PART 8                                                                                       PART 10


Picture Credit (c) medicmagic.net
This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places and incidents either are products of the author’s imagination or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual events or locales or persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental  

No comments: