Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Temptation Alley (Part 8)

However she followed me...I went in my car and she joined me

I can’t do this…I’m sorry. My girlfriend won’t forgive me” I said

Are you planning to tell her?” Dammy asked

I know you want to…and I will make it worth your while” she continued.

You once showed me the best way to kiss a woman, let me show you the best way to make love to a man” Dammy added as she moved closer to me.

At that point, I didn’t know what to say anymore…my mind was blank. I wanted to say “No” but just couldn’t utter the word. It was as if she awakened the old me, I could no longer resist…I later remembered the hotel room key that my boss had given me and we went there (I had taken the key so I could sleep before leaving in the morning as I knew I was going to drink at the party).

It was Irene’s call that woke me up…didn’t pick up the first time; I wanted to find Dammy and beg her to stay quiet but didn’t see her. I later figured that she had left as I could not find any trace of her, not even her handbag.

When I finally picked Irene’s call, the guilt that enveloped my conscience was second to none; I’m sure somehow, Irene could sense that something was amiss. She asked if I was alright, I said I was just a little tired from the party. She told me she would be back later that evening and I promised to pick her up at the Motor Park.
After she got off the phone, I knew I was in trouble…Irene is very sensitive and would know I was hiding something.
I couldn’t lie to her and I didn’t know how to pretend as if nothing happened. I used to be very good at this…what happened to my skills? I knew I had sinned but I was more concerned with what Irene’s reaction would be if she found out.

There is no way she would find out…or could she?

She doesn’t even know Dammy…

Their paths will never cross…

Dammy already said we would keep it on the down low…

I’ll just make sure this never happens again…”

Different thoughts kept running in my mind as I left the hotel for my apartment.

I picked Irene up later in the evening and was doing everything to avoid eye contact with her…she kept asking if I was okay. I told her I wasn’t feeling too good and blamed the party. She had a lot of gist for me but I took my leave not too long after we got to her place. My heart was beating fast and I promised to come see her the following day as I was not feeling too good. 

I had planned to avoid Irene for the rest of the weekend but she came to my place straight from church on Sunday. She didn’t see me in church and I was not picking her calls.  She asked what was going on as she could sense I was avoiding her and I had guilt written all over my face.
What happened while I was away?” she asked
I couldn’t answer the question.
Look into my eyes and tell me nothing happened” Irene said again. I couldn’t…I just laid on my bed and stuck to my story of not feeling too good.

Irene then told me that while she was away, she dreamt that I slept with another woman and it became a big issue which made her leave me. At that point I felt I had to man up, I denied it vehemently and even pretended to take offense. I wanted to tell the truth but I knew what would happen so I settled in my mind to keep it buried forever.

Irene apologized but added a warning; she said “I cannot stand cheating…at all, if you ever do it we are through. I will always be faithful to you…now and even when we get married. I will stand and stay with you through anything but unfaithfulness is my limit. Please don’t ever do it. If you do it, I may not know immediately but God will somehow reveal it to me”.

That statement stuck to my head and I even made it my relationship mission statement. I prayed fervently to God to help me cover the one I already did and promised never to do it again. The thought of Irene leaving me made me realize how much I had come to love her. I couldn’t even picture my life without her...

PART 7                                                                                       PART 9


Picture Credit (c) denoxa.com
This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places and incidents either are products of the author’s imagination or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual events or locales or persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental


© 2015 Lanre Olagbaju All Rights Reserved  

No comments: