Monday, October 8, 2018

Careless? (Part 1)

It was such a terrible feeling...like I was falling into an abyss or I found myself on a sinking, deserted island; there were people all around but I felt alone. There were voices, but all I could hear was silence…the silence of a graveyard.

For the first time in my life, I had nothing.
Very unlike me, as I always had something to hold on to…something to keep me going.
All the excuses I used to give myself to go on seemed to had expired the day before.

I’m sorry to say this, you were careless Keji…you were very careless.
Haba! How could you hide such things from me?
Fine, you like being private and I never intruded in your home but still…you could have said something.
Even the Bible says “in the multitude of counsellors there is safety”. I know you are a prayerful woman but you could have watched as well.
Yorubas will say “À ì lè s'ọ̀rọ̀ ni ìbẹ̀rẹ̀ orí burúkú”. A closed mouth is a closed destiny.

Extremes are never good…when I used to beg you not to be vicious I didn’t mean you should be this gentle either.
This is what happens when you are too gentle.

Everything goes, with you…even if someone is using you as a doormat.
Being a wise woman should not put a padlock on your mouth

Wisdom knows when to speak up or when to seek help...it’s not every time that quietness brings peace.  There is time for everything…a time to be quiet and a time to speak up.
Is it not the same Bible that says we should be wise as serpents, even in our dove-like gentleness?

It’s a powerful metaphor that suggests balance…a serpent is wise, with keen eyesight and is quick to learn. A dove is innocent, meek and gentle. Lose this balance, and you will be devoured by the world”.

It was my uncle’s voice, tearing through the false walls I had put up in my mind. His tone was a mix of anger, worry and sadness.

I looked in his direction and wiped my tears with the back of my right hand.

Careless?

That’s what you believe?

You think I was careless?” I almost said
I had the words in my head but my mouth could not make the sound. I was overwhelmed and my soul heavy.

How could this even happen to me?
I was only being a good wife…building my home like a wise woman.

Doing my best to be a Christian wife…following what I was taught about marriage.
Word on this street is that everyone pays something to get the marriage of their dreams.

I knew things were not supposed to be so, but what else could I have done?  Every home has its issues, they say, and I saw it as my own cross to bear. A price to pay, a sacrifice, to keep the fabrics of matrimony intact.
Maybe I was quiet but I wasn’t silent…I prayed, Oh I prayed, I fasted and I believed God for a miracle. When I didn’t see it, I prayed some more. After all, the Bible says to pray until our joy is full

I totally understand you sir but let’s not cast blames.
This is not the time for that.

What has happened has happened.

We can only call unto God for mercy at this time” our Pastor chimed in, with his palms together as if he was appealing to my uncle.
Pastor Austin had been quiet all along. I’m sure he was also dumbfounded at the revelations. He must have thought he knew us well since he had pastored us for over ten years.

He was not oblivious to our struggles but never got the full picture.
I had reported Dayo to him many times but I never went beyond the periphery.

Why didn’t I tell him everything?
Why was I hiding behind a finger?

I guess because “It didn’t feel right to expose my home and my husband like that”…a statement that is now sounding very dumb to even me.

When other ladies at work talked and castigated their husbands for being irresponsible, I used to feel like telling them I would gladly switch places with them. What they were complaining about would have been a miracle, an answered prayer in my own marriage.

Pastor Austin and my uncle continued to talk as I slipped back into my mind…it was like pulling the slider of a zipper to lock things out. I might not have answers in there but I could pretend and muster some false, yet transient serenity. It was like a state of mental numbness to distract me from reality but I liked it, if only I could make it permanent...
  NEXT
Picture Credit (c) MadameNoire
This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places and incidents either are products of the author’s imagination or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual events or locales or persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental   
© 2018 Lanre Olagbaju All Rights Reserved

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is real suspense!

Fky said...

I feel for Keji, already.