Friday, October 23, 2015

Temptation Alley (Part 13)

She moved closer and at that point I caved…the temptation was too much for me to resist. I was way in too deep to turn back so ‘it’ happened.
 
Akin could not hide his joy when I told him what happened…I think he even hugged me and lifted me up. I told him I was being haunted by my conscience but Akin encouraged me to eat my fill since I already ‘tasted’ the treat.

What’s the point of backing away now? Enjoy the remaining two days and go your separate ways…nobody has to know” He said
 
So I went with the flow and it was me and Toks for the rest of the conference. She was the wildest and most uninhibited girl I had ever been with, even with all my years of being a player. There was nothing she couldn’t do and there was nothing she wouldn’t do…at a point, I had to tell her to take it easy but she said she wanted me to remember her for the rest of my life.
 
Conference ended and true to her word, Toks did not take my number…neither did she give me hers. However, she took my wristwatch and said she wanted to remember me by it. I couldn’t object much as I was totally spent and couldn’t even get up when she left with the watch. I decided to reschedule my flight, just to avoid being on the same flight with Toks…I wouldn’t want any drama at the Lagos airport.

I had informed my wife of the change and she was there at the airport when I landed. It was so good to see her again and somehow, there was no guilt felt…I was a little surprised at this.
Could it be because she was now my wife and the chances of losing her were slimmer than when I hooked up with Dammy?
Could it be the fact that there was no trail whatsoever to what I had been doing for the past three days?
Or was I back to my old self?
I had rehearsed my lines and what to say for the times I missed her calls because Toks had me ‘pinned down’.

Akin and I, had a lot of gists for the guys at the office…he told them how I almost ‘slacked’ but later handled the situation like a pro.

About two weeks after I got back from the conference, Irene told me she was pregnant...she had been suspecting but wanted to confirm from the gynecologist before informing me. I was super excited at the news and promised to take her out for a treat that weekend. I told her to mention the place and we would go there.
The following Saturday morning, Irene left the house before I even got out of bed…she said she had an early morning appointment with her hairdresser. She told us (our son and I) to be ready before she got back. We had planned to go to a Chinese Restaurant on Victoria Island and just celebrate together as a family.

Irene got back around 1pm… she walked in and was looking at me. She looked terrible…her eyes were swollen like she had been crying for hours. I kept asking what happened but she didn’t say a word. I even went out to check the car but nothing was wrong with it (She left the engine running though). Tears were flowing freely from her eyes.

What happened?” I said, as I tried to hold her

DON’T…please don’t” she yelled at me

Michael…where is the wristwatch I gave you for your last birthday?” She asked…

I was blank, I didn’t even know where to start connecting the dots…”It should be inside, on the dresser” I responded…still confused.

Really?” She asked

I went in the room to go find it…I was ransacking the drawers in the dresser when, BOOM…it hit me.
I turned around and Irene was at the door…I doubt if I had ever seen this look on her face before. We hardly fought so I wasn’t used to her angry side.

The words that came out of her mouth after that, almost gave me a stroke…she looked at me and asked “What did you do at Abuja? And who is Toks?


PART 12                                                                                       PART 14

 
Picture Credit (c) jetmag.com
This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places and incidents either are products of the author’s imagination or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual events or locales or persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental 
 
 
© 2015 Lanre Olagbaju All Rights Reserved 

No comments: